For my online training Star Trek: Inspiring Culture and Technology at edX I write a blog at every Unit of the training. In this blog I reflect my vision on the subject in the Unit and answer a question that the trainers Margaret Weitekamp and Scott Mantz have asked.
- 27-04-2019 Course Star Trek: Inspiring Culture and Technology via edX
- 27-04-2019 Unit 1: Introduction to Star Trek: Inspiring Culture and Technology
- 27-04-2019 Unit 2: Why Star Trek? > Star Trek and The Business of Network Television
- 28-04-2019 Unit 2: Why Star Trek? > Star Trek and the Business of Cable Television homework
- 03-06-2019 Unit 2: Why Star Trek? > Star Trek and the Business of Cable Television starlog
- 05-09-2019 Unit 3: Why Star Trek? > Unique Universe / Power of Fandom
- 13-09-2019 Unit 4 Why Star Trek? > Imagined Technologies / Artificial Intelligence
- 29-09-2019 Unit 5: What Does It Mean To Be Explorers? > Exploring the Space Race / Exploring Diverse Representations
- 16-10-2019 Unit 6: What Does It Mean To Be Explorers? > Exploring a More Diverse Crew / Exploring Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
- 20-10-2019 Unit 7: What Does It Mean To Be Explorers? > Exploring a New Starship / Tech Showcase Ion Propulsion
- 07-01-2020 Unit 2: What is Alien? > What is the Role of the Alien? / Aliens Look Different
- 08-01-2020 Unit 3: What is Alien? > Aliens Sound Different / Aliens behave differently
- 08-01-2020 Unit 4: What is Alien? > Language Showcase: Creating Klingon / Klingon at the Smithsonian
- 27-01-2020 Unit 5: What does it mean to be part of a culture? > Navigating Between Cultures / Navigating Multiple Identities: Part 1
- 27-01-2020 Unit 6: What does it mean to be part of a culture? > Navigating Multiple Identities: part 2 / Navigating Difficult Histories
- 28-01-2020 Unit 7: What does it mean to be part of a culture? > Tech Showcase: How Much Do We Know About Space?
- 28-01-2020 Unit 2: The Frontier as a Powerful Symbol > Frontier as a Powerful Symbol / Frontier Personified
- 03-02-2020 Unit 3: The Frontier as a Powerful Symbol > Frontier Inspiring New Technology
- 05-02-2020 Unit 4: What Does it Mean to Be Human > Humanity and Discovering Life in the Universe / Humanity and Exploring Gender and Sexuality
- 05-02-2020 Unit 5: What Does it Mean to Be Human > Humanity and Developing Technology
- 05-02-2020 Completion
Message from SmithsonianX at edX
Congratulations, Admiral. You have successfully completed three Star Trek missions. You have explored the impact of Star Trek on culture and technology, investigated the show’s depictions of race, gender, and intersectionality, and considered the role of humans in the future we are shaping.