#SWDChallenge; 2019 October

This month I’m participating in the #SWDchallenge. We are given a small table. 5 rows and 5 columns.

Question 1: Review the data in the figure. What observations can you make? Do you have to make any assumptions when interpreting this data? What Questions do you have about the data?

Answer 1: First thing I did was checking if the columns with the percentages where adding up to 100. Both columns did not, so I made new columns and removed the old ones. I assume Tier A+ is an improved version of Tier A. I want to know the price per account.

Question 2: Consider the layout of the table in the figure. Let’s assume you’ve been told this information must be communicated in a table. Are there any changes you would make to the way the data is presented or the overall manner in which the table is designed?

Answer 2: I only moved Tier A+ to the top and kept the rest of the row design the same. I have added the column Price per account ($K) before showing the Revenue ($M). I made all columns the same width and wrapped the text of the top bar.

Question 3: Let’s assume the main comparison you want to make is between how accounts are distributed across the tiers compared to how revenue is distributed and that you have the freedom to make bigger changes (it’s not required to be a table). How would you visualize this data? Create a graph in the tool of your choice.

Answer 3: I will use PowerBI as the tool of my choice and start with loading the original data. I added 3 columns in PowerBI using DAX formulas.

% Revenue =
DIVIDE ( 'EXERCISE 2 1'[Revenue ($M)]; SUM ( 'EXERCISE 2 1'[Revenue ($M)] ) )

% Accounts =
DIVIDE ( 'EXERCISE 2 1'[# of Accounts]; SUM ( 'EXERCISE 2 1'[# of Accounts] ) )

Price per account =
    DIVIDE ( 'EXERCISE 2 1'[Revenue ($M)]; 'EXERCISE 2 1'[# of Accounts] ) * 1000;

I have chosen for the default colour theme and then in two colours of blue.

The chart is called a line and column chart. In the column I have put the percentage of accounts and the line is showing the percentage of revenue. With a sort in the highest # of accounts first. In the tooltip you can read how many accounts are in that % of accounts.

This is my visualisation:

#SWDChallenge; 2019 May; First time; part 6; Feedback from Cole Knaflic @storywithdata

I got homework for May 20, when I’m done with the Techionista training

#SWDChallenge; 2019 May; First time; part 4; Progress

  • First step: Make a table of the worksheet. Now it has all additional rows that do not contain the right information
  • Load the excel into PowerBI and do some transformations
    • Fill blanks in the “week nr” column
    • Replace the 1 null value in column “onderdeel”
    • In the column “begintijd” and “eindtijd” needs only to be time and no date
    • Recalculate the column “totale tijd”
    • The column “in uren” rounded to 2 decimals
  • Oh the column “totale tijd” is not giving the right values, I want to see the amount of minutes in there, back to Edit Queries, to find out why. Ah Data Type was Any, changed that to Duration en minutes
  • Yes my Data looks good
  • Add the excel file with the advised hours from Microsoft and Techionista
    • Do some transformations
  • Check the relation between the two tables
  • First visualization; a bar chart showing my hours, compared with Microsoft and Techionista

Conclusion hours by subject

The red bars show the hours that where planned by Techionista, black is what Microsoft advised, for 3 topics Techionista scheduled lesser hours than Microsoft advised. Green is what I actually have spend. For 3 subjects and the capstone I have spend more hours than Microsoft had advised.

The second visualization I want to make is a line chart, showing the time spend per day from the beginning to the end.

  • First I added a new table with dates, so I could use the date as the x-axis
  • Than I made a chart, where I visualised the hours per day and than the topic as legend. Only to realise that a line chart is not clear. So I changed it into a bar chart, which gave me the idea I wanted to see.
  • I also made a table to show the description by subject

Conclusion hours by day and subject

The further I got into the study, the more hours I have spend during the day.

#SWDChallenge; 2019 May; First time; part 2

The new challenge is here: Challenge May 2019
This month’s #SWDchallenge comes from guest author Mike Cisneros.

The challenge

Go out and collect a dataset of your own, analyze it and create a graph visualizing your findings. (Remember: sometimes the smallest, most specific stories can tell the most universal truths.)

My reaction

Oh I wanted to join because I do not have a dataset of myself, okay will join next month

#SWDChallenge; This looks interesting and challenging

Today I was reading a post on LinkedIn and thought, this looks interesting and challenging. It was a post about storytelling with data and they challenge people to do a practice making a visualisation in the first week of the month and to share it. I’m thinking of taking up this challenge this month, see how far I can get, with the knowledge I have right now and my available time.