#MakeOverMonday Week 32 2019
I have left this challenge for a week and enjoyed summer holiday season with the kids. In the meantime some people have given me suggestions looking at my earlier blog. So lets see what I can do today.
First step I have changed the table in Power BI, I now have a table with a lot more rows and lesser columns. My columns are ID, Timestamp, Attribute and Value.
The relation between the tables is automatically detected at the ID numbers. Doing a check with creating a table shows there is a mistake in this relationship. Digging for the answer is just giving me more questions about the data. So lets stop digging and create a visual with one of the story’s i wrote in my first blog.
The story I pick is the change in use over the years of 3 different types of source: Nuclear, fossil based and renewables.
- I made two Measures in Power BI to group the sources together.
- I have made two stacked area charts.
- One that shows everything over the years
- One where you can breakdown to a year / month and see the daily use.
- I did this with the first table I had loaded earlier this week and not with the second table I made today
- For the colours I have chosen purple for Nuclear, was temped to do red because of radiation risk, but found that to much. Of course fossil became grey, connected to the colour of coal. And green for the renewables.
- To make sure that the filter is only for the second graph I used the option edit interactions to disconnect the filters from the first graph.
- Kept the text in neutral grey and only made the names of the 3 groups in the text bold.
- Both charts got fixed axis. With the automatic Y-axe it did not start at zero with the result that the bottom source was smaller than it should be. The second chart also as a fixed end, in this way the y-axe is the same for every filter that is going to be applied. I found out that February 2012 was the month where the claim of sources was the highest.